Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Joyas Voladoras

The essay we read really made me look at life in a new prospective.  However, I could go on and on about my feelings towards this essay in general.  The line, "Every creature on earth has approximately two billion heartbeats to spend in a lifetime.  You can spend them slowly, like a tortoise, and live to be two hundred years old, or you can spend them fast, like a hummingbird, and live to be two years old." All last night, I could not get that idea out of my head.  So many questions popped in my head.  Can we control how fast our heart beats?  Does someone who has a fast heartbeat fly through life?  Does a tortoise live in "slowmotion"?  I dont understand why this statemnt has made an effect on my life but it has.  It made me realize that life is too short in a way that you can't worry about things.  I mean the poor hummingbird only has two years to conquer everything on its bucketlist! (If it has one). It took me 13 years to build up the courage to go polar plunging! Imagine a hummigbird with only a 2 year span, not that they would do it.

The way I look at this essay is that its not pessimistic but revealing.  For instance, I never thought about the chambers in my heart as a house that only myself could see.  I actually never even thought about my heart in a deep aspect but more of just an organ that keeps me alive.  This essay was an eye opener and taught me things that never even crossed my mined.  Like a whale's heart.  I now look at the reason why they travel in groups is because they have huge hearts.  Before I thought it was just a habit.  However, its kind of boring to look at it in a scientific way.  When you think of it in a deep way, it makes me smile.  That's important.  And throughout the whole essay, I was smiling.:)

No comments:

Post a Comment